Author Topic: Painting Chestnut and Light Bay Horses  (Read 2062 times)

Brian

Re: Painting Chestnut and Light Bay Horses
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2024, 05:24:15 AM »
Agree with that   ;D

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2024, 04:29:12 PM »

As Vladimir Douchkine said ‘A horse well painted, can “save” an unsuccessfully painted cavalier. But a well painted cavalier is “doomed” on a bad painted horse’.

Brian

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2024, 12:27:08 PM »
The horse can be hard to paint in any size,  but get it right and your half way there so give it a go  ;)   

snagy

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2024, 10:42:16 AM »
Interesting topic!
I like the paintwork of the presented horses!
Looking forward to read the comments and views!
Sandor

Painting Chestnut and Light Bay Horses
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 11:31:44 AM »
I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on painting horses and I hope others will add their thoughts and paint recipes with pictures of what they have created.
Here are a chestnut and a light bay.  The oil paints used for both are a base of Venetian red, chrome yellow and white.  Highlights have more chrome yellow and white and darker shades for shadows have burnt umber and black added.
Note that the bay needs a black mane and tail, edges of the ears and lower legs to be a bay, although white leg markings are permissible.
Where horses have white socks the hooves are usually of a lighter colour (look at photos on the internet for colours).
Eyes are depicted as plain black with no white showing although sometimes I add a highlight of grey.